WHO WE ARE AND WHY WORK WITH US?
CannaRoyalty is a North American cannabis consumer products company currently focused on building a leading distribution business in California, the world’s largest regulated cannabis market. By building a world-class logistics platform and supporting contract manufacturing assets, the Company intends to support the growth of new and established cannabis brands. The Company believes California, home to some of the world’s most discerning consumers and a nexus of information and trends, will be the point of inception for the global cannabis brands of the future. CannaRoyalty has developed a diversified portfolio of assets within the cannabis sector, including research, infrastructure and intellectual property to support our existing brands, partner products and distribution networks. The Company’s leadership and staff combines passion and a hands-on understanding of the cannabis industry, with proven financial and legal expertise. CannaRoyalty’s shares trade on the Canadian Stock Exchange (CSE) under the symbol CRZ and in the US on the OTCQX under the symbol CNNRF.
Working at CannaRoyalty provides a unique opportunity to help shape the emerging and exciting cannabis industry. As more jurisdictions across North America move towards complete cannabis legalization, entrepreneurs and investors alike are looking for opportunities to support and build companies in the cannabis space. CannaRoyalty offers the opportunity to be at the forefront of innovation in this industry, and to get involved at an early-stage. To find out more, visit us at http://cannaroyalty.com/.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to be the CFO of a rapidly growing division in a dynamic and ground-breaking industry. California has an enormous cannabis market which is expected to grow significantly year over year for the foreseeable future. CannaRoyalty owns production, distribution and cultivation assets in California and is expanding both organically and via acquisition to grow its revenues, offerings and capabilities across the state. The California operations divisional CFO will be at the forefront of this growth opportunity and will play an instrumental role to help ensure that CannaRoyalty maximizes its potential.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
As the successful candidate for this position, you are expected to build an effective finance function to support CannaRoyalty’s California operations division and to be a key contributor and business partner to the senior management team in California. You will play a critical role in strategic decision-making and be a hands-on leader in guiding the business through continued rapid organic and acquisition growth. You combine vision, passion, integrity, a steadfast work ethic and are highly driven to help fuel the Division’s growth. You will leverage past successes and lessons learned from rapidly growing start-up environments to help the company grow under responsible financial stewardship. You have a strong technical accounting foundation, backed by commercial acumen and experience building and leading effective finance functions. You are comfortable rolling up your sleeves to do what it takes, while also bringing thoughtful insight, business acumen and strategic thinking to the leadership table. You have prior experience implementing ERP systems, flexible reporting capabilities including executive dashboards as well as effective internal control frameworks, policies and procedures.
Job title: VP of Finance and Divisional CFO
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Reporting to: EVP Corporate Services and Chief Financial Officer, CannaRoyalty Corp.
Job type: Full-time
Strategy, Planning and Stewardship
- Is the senior Finance leader of CannaRoyalty’s California operations, accountable for the Division’s finance function to the EVP Corporate Services and Corporate CFO
- Partners with the division’s executive leadership headed by the Division’s VP of Operations to provide insightful decision support
- Providers leadership to the division’s finance function to ensure excellent service delivery and financial stewardship to the division and its management
- Ensures that an appropriate and effective framework of internal controls is in place to safeguard assets, to promote the efficiency and effectiveness of operations and to ensure accurate, reliable and timely financial reporting.
- Is focused on optimizing the finance function and considers alternatives to the status quo such as shared services models
- Establishes yearly financial objectives that align with the company’s plan for profitable growth
- Manages the cash planning process and ensures the availability of funds to support operational requirements
- Participates in the executive decision-making process in support of strategic initiatives and operational requirements
- Contributes to the company’s enterprise risk management objectives and program and ensures that the division’s property and operations are adequately protected
- Is responsible for the design, documentation and implementation of the Division’s financial policy framework
- Ensures tax optimization through planning and collaboration with the Corporate finance function and external experts
- Ensures full compliance with all applicable municipal, county, state and federal legislation and regulations
- Plays a key leadership role in the development and implementation of CannaRoyalty’s ERP system
Financial reporting, analysis, budgeting and forecasting
- Plays the lead role in coordinating the annual Budget process
- Is responsible for monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting including variance analysis, flash reports, executive dashboards, KPIs, cash flow reporting and other relevant information as required to the division’s leadership and to corporate headquarters
- Optimizes the month-end close process to improve the timeliness, accuracy and relevance of the division’s financial reporting
- Provides insight, reporting and analytics on special projects, product launches, capital investments, new product category offerings and miscellaneous business initiatives
- Responsible for the division’s accounting, financial reporting and budgeting tools, systems and software
- Ensures compliance with all corporate quarterly and annual external financial reporting requirements, including compliance with IFRS standards for accounting and public company reporting
- Utilizes forward-looking models and activity-based analyses to provide financial insight into the organization’s plans and operating budgets
- Supports the executive decision-making process to improve profitability
- Ensures the division’s planning process optimizes its tax liabilities and expenses while maintaining full compliance with all applicable tax legislation at all levels of government
- Ensures the division’s corporate and legal structure is properly architected to optimize the corporation’s tax liabilities
- Ensures that operating cash flow is maximized in the pursuit of all operating objectives
Managing External relationships:
- Acts as the divisional Finance function’s main liaison with external third parties such as key vendors, customers and business partners
- Maintains effective banking relationships to help ensure that appropriate banking facilities and arrangements are in place to support the division’s financial operations
- Ensures that the division’s relationship with the company’s external auditors is positive, constructive and contributes to an effective and efficient annual audit process and any other requirements necessitating assurance work by the company’s external auditors
- Builds and maintains an “ecosystem” of external advisors to help ensure that the division’s requirements are adequately addressed in specialized areas (e.g. taxation, regulatory compliance, advisory, financial reporting, etc.) on a timely, cost-effective basis
Special projects and ad hoc requirements:
- Plays a key role in supporting M&A activities and associated acquisition decisions
- Supports the Corporate CFO’s requests to meet deliverables for CannaRoyalty’s Board of Directors and various sub-committees
- Supports the Corporate CFO and the Corporate finance team in meeting special requests for ad hoc financial analysis and other information
- Minimum ten years of experience in progressive financial roles
- CPA or equivalent professional accounting designation
- MBA or equivalent degree in Finance, Business, Economics or related discipline
- Experience and successful track record leading finance functions that “partner” with the business
- Finance leadership role in a high growth environment, preferably in a start-up business
- Experience with best practices in large mature organizations
- Extensive experience in communicating business fundamentals to a management team with varying degrees of financial management knowledge
- Strong financial management skills and excellent planning, budgeting and analytical capabilities
- Demonstrated track record of supporting corporate development function in identifying accretive opportunities and helping successfully close M&A transactions
- Strong capabilities and knowledge in financial accounting and reporting, ideally with IFRS and public company reporting
- A solid understanding of and experience with enterprise risk management practices and models
- Ability to provide value add counsel, insight and recommendations on a broad range of strategic, commercial and operational issues
- Proficient in MS Office applications and experienced in accounting applications within an ERP system; ideally has experience in implementing an ERP system
- Decisive leader with exceptional negotiations, communications and presentation skills, both written and oral
- Highly capable of navigating effectively in fluid environments
- Have an understanding and/or interest in the burgeoning cannabis industry, particularly in North American markets.
- Are deadline driven with a strong work ethic and unquestionable integrity
- Are passionate and dedicated to success of the team
- Lead by example with stamina and energy and ready to do what it takes to meet objectives
- Have sound business judgement and commercial acumen
- Able to delve deeply into the details while effectively synthesizing complex information for effective executive level, strategic communications
- Values teamwork and open, honest communications
The compensation package will include a competitive salary, performance bonus, participation in an employee benefits plan and a stock-based compensation plan.
We thank all applicants for their interest in joining our team, however only those whose skills and qualifications closely match the requirements of this position will be contacted.
CannaRoyalty is an equal opportunity employer and committed to delivering accessibility for all persons with disabilities.